Friday 6 May 2011

A Farrier Comes to Put Amber's Shoes On!

Yesterday Amber got her shoes put on and I was there to experience it all. Now I'm here to tell you all about it.

Brumbies usually have tough hooves but because of all the rain (and there was lots of it) Amber's hooves went soft on the inside.

When horses need their feet done, a special person, called a farrier, comes to do the job for you. This process will be hard to explain so I've got some photos to go along with it.

When the farrier did the back legs, he stretched Amber's leg around the outside of himself, and he himself was right under Amber! ....



Here's a photo of me riding Amber! ....



Now that I think about it, it's much easier for us to get new shoes than it is for horses to.

Bye.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I went to the TOCAL feield day last weekend. I watched a presentation & display of our wonderful Brumby horses. One thing that was mentioned by the lady was that the 2 brumbies she owned were the only ones of her 6 six horses that didnt have hoof problems or shoes due to the mud.
    http://hvba.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thanks for the comment that's really interesting, its amazing how common it is for a brumby to have strong feet isn't it?

    sirnserly, Emelia

    ReplyDelete